This iconic building stands strong in the heart of the Bryant Pond 4-H campus and has been a building that has lasted in the memories of participants for decades. This building as well as a couple of the small outbuilding were the former summer estate of a Mrs. Lillian Waterhouse, During the
In the early 60’s you would find teachers using this building as the base of their programming. The building currently serves as the year round offices for the camp and learning center staff.
The years have taken a toll on the building and we want to be sure to preserve it for future generation to enjoy. Because the building does not stand on a true foundation we have found that the support Our initial goal it to
The idea of intensifying conservation education efforts in Maine originated in the mid-1950’s
and was spearheaded by Governor Edmund Muskie. At his direction, a legislative act
permitted the inclusion of a full-time Conservation Educator on the staff of the Department
of Inland Fisheries and Game. The first appointee was Lawrence Stuart, in July of 1956
(who served as the first Executive Director for the Maine Conservation School until 1959).
Also, in 1956, Governor Muskie called a conference of the commissioners and directors of
natural resource agencies to discuss ways of working with the Department of Education on a
program to emphasize conservation education. This working group developed the state’s
first hunter safety program for young people. The objective of this program was to help
young people enjoy the outdoors safely and develop a favorable attitude concerning the
state’s natural resources. The group also realized that this objective could best be
accomplished by first training school teachers. It was hoped that the teachers would return
to the classroom and integrate this knowledge with the existing curriculum.
Later that year, through the efforts of the Maine Fish & Game Association (SAM’s
predecessor), Mrs. Lillian Waterhouse donated her summer estate on Bryant Pond, to the
newly formed non-profit Conservation Education Foundation of Maine. It was her intention
that the property be used as a school devoted to the instruction of natural resource
conservation and the Maine Conservation School was born. In April of 2008, the Maine
Conservation School merged with the Maine 4-H Foundation and University of Maine
Cooperative Extension to become the University of Maine 4-H Camp and Learning Center