University of Maine Cooperative Extension Veterinary Diagnostic Laboratory
The University of Maine Cooperative Extension Veterinary Diagnostic Laboratory, located in Orono, provides services to veterinarians, livestock producers, animal owners, and state agencies across Maine and New England. We offer microbiology, virology, parasitology, and pathology diagnostic testing as well as research support to help agricultural and aquacultural producers identify solutions to animal health-related problems. Our team engages in public outreach, teaching/mentorship, and fostering collaborations within the University of Maine System and beyond to improve animal and human health. We frequently integrate undergraduate, graduate, and professional students into lab rotations to strengthen preparedness for veterinary and research careers.
2023 VDL Updates!
- Exciting changes are underway at the Veterinary Diagnostic Laboratory! We are happy to now offer on-site histopathology interpretation for necropsy and biopsy submissions! Please see “Tests and Pricing” or contact us for more information.
- We’re currently working hard to enhance your experience. Please bear with us as we incorporate new features that will simplify sample submission and reporting. Thank you for your patience!
NOTE: If you are currently experiencing an animal health emergency, please contact your veterinarian directly.
The University of Maine Cooperative Extension Veterinary Diagnostic Laboratory is not equipped to see or treat animals in need of immediate medical care.
For a list of large animal and poultry veterinarians in Maine, visit the Maine New Farmers Project website’s What Veterinarians Treat Large Animals? page.
What We Do:
- Direct to Veterinarians and Producers: Mastitis testing, parasitology, and salmonella environmental testing (FDA-compliant SE testing)
- Veterinarian Submission Only*: All other samples submitted for testing.
* Domestic backyard poultry/waterfowl are accepted for necropsy. Visit Our Policies page for more information.
VDL Hours of Operation:
- Lab Hours: Monday-Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
- No samples are accepted after 4:00 p.m. on Fridays. Any necropsies submitted after 3:30 p.m. will be performed the next business day.
- Closed all University Holidays: Visit the University of Maine Holiday Schedule
WFSB News Report: Mosquitoes in 9 Connecticut towns test positive for West Nile Virus
StarPhoenix Article: New diagnostic tools protect dogs and humans from deadly parasite
NBC News Report: Mosquitos that carry West Nile are becoming resistant to insecticides, CDC says
From the Boston Globe: Cancer treatment could halt Lyme disease in its tracks, UMass Amherst researchers say
From The New York Times: Family of Henrietta Lacks Settles With Biotech Company That Used Her Cells
From the Sacramento Bee: UC Davis experimental treatment saves kitten from disease
What Type of Animal Do You Have?
The Maine state veterinarian has asked that UMaine Extension encourage any bird owner with possible avian flu (HPAI) cases (sudden deaths, unexplained severely ill birds) to call this hotline number: 866.536.7593.
If poultry are ill or have died, but the onset of symptoms was slower, or the owner suspects Marek’s disease or other non-HPAI cause of loss, then they are encouraged to contact our Veterinary Diagnostic Laboratory at 207.581.3874.
Would you like to hear about livestock or gardening news, upcoming Extension events, and more?
Subscribe to UMaine Extension lists on Piscataquis County’s E-Mail Newsletter Sign-up page.