WCEA Meeting Minutes- February 2022

February 15, 2022

Attendees: Kyle Winslow, Jen Lobley, Eric Jones (recorder), Bob Simpson, Deb Gardner, Lisa Seeley, Leslie Monroy, Tara Wood, Dennis Harrington, Brittany Foster, Heidi Hinkley

A round of introductions for our guests to become acquainted with who we are.


WCEA potential move to UMM Campus

Options explored included the O’Brien House, Torrey Hall, and Reynold’s Center followed by discussion with Dan Qualls.  The Reynold’s Center space doesn’t seem to be a good fit.  Part of the discussion included not being charged rent.  UMM would host WCEA as an academic department.  The O’Brien House seems to offer the best space for our county office.  Some advantages would include not having to pay for insurance, utilities, maintenance, etc.  That could amount to about $8500 in savings for the county budget.  Some issues that would need to be dealt with include ADA compliance (ramp to front door, bathroom) and parking accommodation.

Next steps include drafting an MOU, communication to the county commissioners, consideration of budget monies that may not be used on rent going forward.



Meeting minutes

Approval of meeting minutes: moved by Bob, seconded by Eric, approved unanimously


Treasurer’s Report

Bob presented a summary of expenses and income.

Approval moved by Kyle and seconded by Lisa S., approved unanimously


Staff Reports

Brittany reports that a third judge has been found for public speaking.

A question was raised re. the search for a professor of Native American studies (70/30 split teaching/extension work). Finalists may be coming to campus next month for interviews.

Jen and Brittany are running a pilot to recruit 4H volunteers and outreach would be much appreciated.  Direct those interested in volunteering should be directed to Brittany and/or Jen.


Executive Board Officers

Kyle and Bob are rotating out of their respective offices this term. 

A suggestion was made to keep Kyle as president through the coming year to complete the projects that are currently underway and to train a new president.

This would require an exception for terms that are in the bylaws.

Committee members should consider positions that they would be interested in/willing to serve in.


Committee member recruitment

Kyle has shared the list we’ve used in the past to identify potential candidates for recruitment. 

Action item: Current members should revisit that list and consider candidates to recruit and be prepared to share suggestions with the board at our next meeting.


Annual meeting

Norm Duzen award – press release has been approved and is going out to the regional papers.  We should be able to review candidates in the April meeting.

Our proposed guest (Lily Calderwood) is available on the weeks before or after the tentative date (either the 14th or 28th of June). 

After some discussion, we decided to aim for holding the annual meeting on 28 June.

We are planning to hold the annual meeting remotely again this year.

We have an old script that we can modify for this year.

Jen will talk about staff about PEN awards.

An invitation will be extended to the Dean of Extension to make a few comments.  Jen will reach out to Hannah Carter to that effect. 


Meeting adjourned at 7:33

Motioned by Eric, seconded by Bob