Franklin County 4-H January News
Table of Contents
- January 5th: Send Intent to Sell Form for Market Steers, the original bill-of-sale, and a picture of your animal (front and side view) to the county 4-H office by January 5, 2023.
- January 14th: Recognition Event 1pm-3pm at Meadow Lanes 907 US-2, Wilton, ME
- January 15th: 2023 ESE Intent to Participate Form Due for Beef
- January 16th: Office Closed: Martin Luther King Day
- January 19th: Volunteer Open Forum 6pm – 8pm
- January 26th: Project Records Workshop at Extension office 5:30pm – 6:30pm
- January 29th: Independent 4-H Members Meet & Greet at Extension office 1pm – 3pm
February 25th: Children’s Festival 10:00am – 2:00pm at Mt Blue High School- this is a community event with lots of fun things to do and eat for youth and families.
Feb Break week: 4-H Camp (times/dates and activities TBD soon!)March 18th: 10:00am -12:00pm – Mushroom workshop (grow your own!) at the Extension OfficeMarch 25th: (March 26th snow date): 10:00am – 3:00pm Regional Public Speaking Contest at the University of Maine Augusta (open to all 4-H members)April 8th: State Public Speaking Contest (must qualify to compete)- Orono
Calling all 4-H Volunteers! Save the date and please attend the Volunteer Open Forum on January 19th from 6:00pm – 8:00pm at the Franklin County Extension Office. This event is being put on by the Franklin County’s Leaders Association in an effort to being all enrolled Franklin County Volunteers together to talk about goals, ideas, and challenges related to your work as county volunteers. What things might you like to see come to Franklin County? We need you, and your voice so we can help move the volunteer and county programs forward. Please take the time to attend this event!
4-H Recognition Night
2023 Annual Conservation Poster Contest theme: “Watersheds – One Water”
- Posters are due on Friday, February 24th. Posters can be mailed or dropped off no later than February 24.
- Please attach a 2023 Poster Contest Form to the back of each poster using masking tape.
- Winners of each category (K-1, 2-3, 4-6), will be announced in late March. Category winners will automatically be entered into the State Competition. All other submissions will be returned via mail or dropped off at local schools by March 31, 2023.
- Posters must be 14×22” and oriented in portrait style (i.e., width 14”, height 22”). Do not use neon-colored paper.
- Any media may be used, including paint, crayon, colored pencil, charcoal, stickers, paper, or other materials.
- Posters must include the poster theme, Watersheds – One Water.
- Student names must only be written on the back of the poster, not the front. Please attach a 2023 Poster Contest Form (right click) to the back of each poster using masking tape.
- Entry must be the contestant’s original creation. Although younger students will most likely receive help in planning from parents or teachers, NACD encourages each student to do their own work. Note: Entries with student handwriting and coloring will score better than those designed, drawn, and colored by adult assistance.
- Each poster must be created by an individual student, rather than a team of students.
Maine 4-H Equity Challenge for all Maine Youth
Are you a photographer? A performer? A writer? Then consider the 4-H Equity Challenge. The
challenge is for youth ages 5-19 to create a digital photograph, a performance, a presentation, or
a writing piece that tells why every Maine youth belongs in a welcoming and inclusive
environment. There are prizes based on age. This challenge is open to any 4-H’er or partner
organization in Maine.
There are helpful guides and a rubric to help you understand what judges will look for in an entry.
To submit an entry or to find out more information go to the Maine 4-H Equity Challenge webpage.
To participate, submit your creation by February 24, 2023.
Maine 4-H Engineering Virtual Club
Registration is now open for the Maine 4-H Engineering Club, which will introduce basic
engineering skills by exploring a different topic each week. Each week will have a new hands-on
engineering challenge to work on while making connections with fellow 4-H engineers around the
state! UMaine Extension 4-H staff will lead the challenges.
The club is free; limited to 20 participants. Register by January 17 on the event webpage to
receive the link and at-home materials. For more information or to request a reasonable
accommodation, contact 207.581.8206 or email@example.com. Additional information also is
available on the Extension 4-H Virtual Learning webpage.
State Public Speaking Tournament – Save the Date!
Our state public speaking tournament will be held on April 8, 2023 at DP Corbett Hall on the
University of Maine campus. Youth must qualify for this event by achieving a score of 78 or higher
at their county or regional tournament. Check with your county 4-H staff to find out when your
county tournament will be held.
Public Speaking In-Person Workshop
The Maine 4-H Communication Science Team invites all enrolled 4-H members to an in-person
workshop on January 21st from 2 – 4 pm. The meeting will be held at the Penobscot County
Extension Office in Bangor. Participants will learn how to prepare for county/regional public
speaking contests for both Demonstrations and Illustrated Talks. Please
contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information or to register.
2023 4-H Volunteer Training Opportunities
As we get ready for the new 4-H year, we are looking forward to offering a variety of learning
experiences (both in person and virtual) for our 4-H volunteers. Sessions are free of charge, but
require registration. Some sessions have limited space. Visit the 4-H Volunteer Calendar of Training Opportunities
to learn more and register!
Androscoggin/Sagadahoc 4-H Monthly Workshops – Open to All Maine 4-Hers!
Come join the Androscoggin and Sagadahoc counties 4-H program at their monthly workshops –
the Third Friday of every month (unless otherwise noted) from 6:00 – 7:30 pm at the Lisbon
Extension Office at 24 Main Street. Anyone interested can contact Cathy Gray to find out more
Currently Scheduled Topics:
– January 20, 2023 – “Getting the Word Out” Digital Marketing
– February 17, 2023 – Short Film Making
– March 10, 2023 – Spa & Relaxation Science
– April 21, 2023 – Movie Premier Night
– May 19, 2023 – Wool Spinning Workshop