Step 4: What Can I Do if My Water is Contaminated with PFAS?

Once you have tested your water

  • The state’s Interim Drinking Water standard for PFAS is 20 parts per trillion (ppt) for the sum of the following six PFAS: PFOA, PFOS, PFDA, PFNA, PFxHS, and PFHpA.  If your drinking water exceeds this standard, you can tell DEP by contacting or, 207-287-5842.  That way they are aware of all contamination issues and may assist you with interpretation if needed.
  • Filtration options include charcoal filters (granular activated charcoal) and reverse osmosis. How much PFAS is removed depends on how much there is, the type of filter, and how well the filter is maintained. If you contact the companies that make the filtration systems, they may have suggestions about the specific details that will work best in your situation.
  • If testing reveals high levels of PFAS in your water and that water has been used to irrigate your garden, you may also want to test your soil. 
To direct questions to University of Maine Cooperative Extension, please email:

Proceed to Step 5: Can I Take a Soil Test to Check for PFAS in My Garden? →