4th Annual Maine Cattlemen’s College — Virtual!
April 19 – May 3, 2021
Location: Virtual! Registrants will be sent the link for all presentations. Presentations will be open for viewing from April 19, 2021, through May 3, 2021. Links to videos will be sent prior to April 19, 2021.
Registration required. A $5 donation for the Maine Beef Producers Association Scholarship Fund is optional. Donate here.
The Maine Cattlemen’s College will provide up-to-date information to Maine beef cattle producers and allow Maine beef cattle producers an opportunity to meet leaders in the industry and fellow producers to share ideas and innovations. All proceeds to benefit the Maine Beef Producers Association Scholarship Fund.
Join us for the 4th Maine Cattlemen’s College online. This year, we have invited speakers from Maine and beyond to present on important topics related to the beef cattle industry.
- Dr. Jeff Lehmkuhler, University of Kentucky: Vitamin and Mineral Nutrition
- Dr. Kendall Samuelson, West Texas A&M University: The Importance of Preconditioning Calves
- Dr. Zach McFarlane, CalPoly University: The Importance of Selecting Quality Bulls
- Rick Kersbergen, University of Maine: Making Sure You Have Enough Forage
- Chef Rob Dumas, University of Maine: Grinding Beef for a High-quality Burger (includes a cooking demo)
- Dr. Colt Knight, University of Maine: Processing Yields and Processor Expectations
- Donna Coffin, University of Maine: Selling Beef in Maine
- Dr. Juan Romero, University of Maine: Storing Wet Brewers Grain research project results
In addition to the invited speakers, we will be hosting an online youth beef judging class. Youth Clubs and Individual youth members are encouraged to register and participate in an online judging event where youth will place a class of market steers and give reasons why they ranked the animals the way they did. Cash prizes will be awarded to the top participants in both the Youth Club and Youth Individual classes. Adults may participate for bragging rights only.
- First Prize: $75
- Second Prize: $50
- Third Prize: $25
- First Prize: $50
- Second Prize: $35
- Third Prize: $25
Pineland Natural Meat has generously agreed to match the cash prize awarded by the Maine Beef Producers Association.
This year, Pine Ridge Acres in Cumberland, Maine, has donated a Simmental/Angus Cross grass-fed calf to auction off for the Maine Beef Producers Scholarship Fund. Details are on the Maine Beef Producers Association website.
The Maine Beef Producers Association will also be hosting a silent auction to benefit the MBPA Youth Scholarship Fund. For more information, visit Youth Scholarship Fundraiser on their website.
For more information, contact Melissa Babcock at email@example.com or 207.581.2788.
If you need a reasonable accommodation, please contact Melissa Babcock at firstname.lastname@example.org or 207.581.2788 by April 9. If requests are received after this date, we may not have sufficient time to make the necessary arrangements.