Swine 101: Raising Pastured Pork
The University of Maine Cooperative Extension is excited to announce a FREE series entitled Swine 101: Raising Pastured Pork. This seminar will be held in multiple locations across the state, and a meal will be provided (smoked pork!). Join Dr. Colt W. Knight, University of Maine Cooperative Extension State Livestock Specialist, for a 2-hour primer on raising pastured pork. Topics include: breed selection, basic reproductive information, swine nutrition, fencing, housing, meat yield, and more. Learn more.
- General Biosecurity Practices for Non-Farm Personnel (PDF) (National Pork Board)
- Biosecurity Management Best Practices (National Pork Board)
- Requirements for Swine Being Imported into Maine
- USDA Requires Reporting of Porcine Epidemic Diarrhea Virus
- Pork Quality Assurance Training to assure food safety and animal well-being. (National Pork Board, Pork Check Off)
The PIG library provides the industry with factsheets, references, and a place for U.S. Pork Producers to ask questions of swine extension specialists from around the U.S.
- Feeding for Niche Swine Production (PIG Factsheet)
- By-product Feed Ingredients for Use in Swine (PIG Factsheet)
- Example Diets for Swine (PIG Factsheet)