Sheep and Goats
Care of Young Stock Purchased Off Farm
- Caring for Baby Kid Goats of an Unknown Age
- Caring for Baby Lambs of an Unknown Age
- Biosecurity for Sheep Producers
Sheep / Goat Production Information
- Bulletin #2186, Are You Thinking of Raising Sheep?
- Bulletin #1210, Farmer Skill and Knowledge Checklist: Goat Producers
- Bulletin #1040, Farmer Skills and Knowledge List: Sustainable Sheep Production
- Bulletin #1045, Getting Ready for the Shearer: A Checklist for Maine Sheep and Wool Producers
- Bulletin #1111, Storeys Barn Guide to Sheep ($29.95 +sh)
- Bulletin #1112, Storeys Guide to Raising Meat Goats: Managing, Breeding, Marketing ($19.95 +sh)
- Bulletin #1143, Storeys Guide to Raising Dairy Goats, 4th Edition ($19.95 +sh)
- Maine Sheep Shearers List (PDF)
- Sheep Best Management Practices
- Sustainable Sheep Production Skills and Knowledge List
- A Guide to Starting a Commercial Goat Dairy (PDF), UVM, 168 pages
Sheep / Goat Health Information
- Bulletin#1065 How Can Livestock Farmers Prepare for the Covid-19 Outbreak?
- Bulletin#1064 Standard Operating Procedures and Their Use on Farms
- Bulletin #1049, When to Call the Veterinarian — Tips for Producers of Small Ruminants in Maine
- Bulletin #1032, Tips for Detecting Disease or Injury in Sheep and Goats
- Bulletin #1033, Setting Up for Sheep Foot Inspection and Trimming
- Bulletin #1034, The Shearer’s Role in Reducing Disease
- Bulletin #1046, Biosecurity Precautionary Measures for Sheep and Goat Show Persons
- Eliminating Chronic Disease Using a Farm-based Approach: Caseous Lymphadenitis (CL)
- FAQ: Meningeal Worm in Maine Sheep
- Generic Abortion Prevention Program: Sheep and Goats
- Sheep Foot Health
- Fecal Testing for Parasites: How to do the modified McMaster Fecal Egg Count Test (PDF), SARE and University of Rhode Island
Pasture and Crops for Sheep/ Goats
- Bulletin #7129, Watering Systems for Livestock
- Grazing Guide, Northeast Pasture Consortium
- Maine Hay Directory, University of Maine Cooperative Extension
- Maine Pasture Management Course, University of Maine Cooperative Extension
- Maine Straw Directory, University of Maine Cooperative Extension
- UMaine Analytical Lab, Soil and Manure Testing, University of Maine
- Dairy One, Forage and Feed Analysis
4-H Youth Program Information
- Maine 4-H Goat Projects and Programs, University of Maine Cooperative Extension
- Maine 4-H Sheep Projects and Programs, University of Maine Cooperative Extension
Buildings and Equipment for Sheep / Goats
- Sheep Housing and Equipment Handbook. This informative handbook includes: Planning considerations; Barn types, placement, and layout; Manure management; Feed storage and handling; Treating and handling facilities; Equipment for raising orphan lambs; Needed utilities and construction materials. Also featured are a summary data chart, 19 tables, 110 figures, a glossary, references, and a conversion chart for areas and volumes. 96 pp, 1994, Print Price $18.50 + handling or Download Price $11.00. MWPS
- Hoop Barns for Horses, Sheep, Ratites, and Multiple Utilization: This booklet briefly discusses a variety of hoop barns as an efficient solution for raising horses, sheep, ostriches, and multiple usage like hay storage. Sheep section includes: design data summary; layout and inside view of market lamb barn. Multiple utilization includes illustration and dimensions of potential storage capabilities. 8 pages, 8 1/2 x 11, illus., download, 2004 Price $3.00. MWPS
- Dr. Temple Grandin’s website, Livestock Behavior, Design of Facilities, and Humane Slaughter
Farm Taxes and Recordkeeping
- Maine Sales Tax Forms, Maine Revenue Services site with tax-exempt applications, affidavits and refund forms for agriculture producers
- Current Land Use Programs, Maine Farmland Tax Law Information, Marketing Information
- Federal Income Tax, Publication 225: Farmer’s Tax Guide
- Bulletin #1220, Cheese Maker Self-Assessment Tool for Occupational Health, Safety, and Ergonomics
- Bulletin # 1030, Raw Milk Production: Guidelines for Maine Licensed Dealers
- Bulletin #1107, Butchering Poultry, Rabbit, Lamb, Goat, and Pork ($24.95 +sh)
- Bulletin # 1037, American Farmstead Cheese: The Complete Guide to Making and Selling Artisan Cheeses ($35.00 +sh)
- Resource Guide to Direct Marketing Livestock and Poultry, Small Farms Program, Cornell University, a 155-page guide available for free online or $3 for CD or $8 for hard copy
- Direct Marketing Lamb — A Pathway. Loading your lambs up and hauling them to the sale ring is one way to market four seasons of devoted labor. It could, however, be debated whether you are really marketing at all — after all, you’re simply choosing a date and delivering your lambs to the sale ring on that day. Often, that date is determined not by market savvy, but by when you happen to run out of pasture. With today’s uncertain lamb markets, you may have no inkling of what lamb prices will be by the time your lambs are ready to sell. With this comes the frustration of trying to meet your financial obligations. 20 pages Free download from ATTRA.
- ATTRA Lambulator is the perfect tool to help you answer these questions. A cut-yield pricing calculator is an essential part of a direct marketing lamb business. Excel spreadsheet. Free. ATTRA.
USDA News and Standards
Sheep / Goat Quality Assurance Program
- Sheep Safety and Quality Assurance, American Sheep Industry Association
- Goat Quality Assurance, eXtension.org
Sheep / Goat Related Organizations
- Maine Sheep Breeders Association (MSBA)
- Heart of Maine Dairy Goat Association (HMDGA)
- Southern Maine Dairy Goat Association (SMDGA)
- Boar Goat Breeders of Maine (BGBM)
- American Sheep Industry Association (ASID)
- Lamb Checkoff and Resource Center
Health and Management Information (Maine)
University of Maine
Colt Knight, Assistant Professor of Extension – State Livestock Specialist, University of Maine Cooperative Extension, 5735 Hitchner Hall, Rm 133, Orono, Maine 04469. Tel: 207.581.2953, 800.287.0274 (in Maine). Email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Richard Brzozowski, Food System Program Administrator, University of Maine Cooperative Extension, 5741 Libby Hall, Room 105A, Orono, ME 04469-5741. Tel: 207.581.3222 (desk), 207.951.7155 (cell). Email: email@example.com.
Anne Lichtenwalner, Extension Veterinarian, Associate Professor and Director of the University of Maine Animal Health Lab, University of Maine Cooperative Extension, 17 Godfrey Drive, Orono, ME 04473. Tel: 207.581.2789. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Donna Coffin, Extension Professor, University of Maine Cooperative Extension, 307 Maine Ave., Bangor, ME 04401. Tel: 207.942.7396. Email: email@example.com.
Michele Walsh, State Veterinarian, Maine Department of Agriculture, Conservation and Forestry. Tel: 207.287.7615. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Carol Delaney, State Livestock Specialist, Maine Department of Agriculture, Conservation and Forestry. Tel: 207.215.4968. Email: email@example.com.
Celeste Poulin, Director, Maine Department of Agriculture’s Division of Quality Assurance and Regulation. Tel: 207.287.3841. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Note: Where trade names or company names are noted in this document, no discrimination is intended and no endorsement by the University of Maine Cooperative Extension is implied.