Resources for Small-Scale Poultry Keepers
Adapted by Donna Coffin, Extension Professor. Developed by Extension Professor Richard Brzozowski, Associate Professor Emeritus H. Michael Opitz, and Professor Emeritus Robert O. Hawes
- Monthly and Bimonthly Publications
- Poultry Websites
- Supply Companies
- Organizations (National)
- Organizations (Organic Poultry Resources)
- Organizations/Processing Facilities (Maine)
- Health and Management Information (Maine)
- State Agencies
- Publications and Articles
Available from many online booksellers as well as through University of Maine Cooperative Extension Publications Catalog:
- Storey’s Guides. North Adams, Storey Publishing.
Each book is written by an expert and covers selection, housing, behavior, feeding and health.
- Storey’s Guide to Raising Chickens: Care/Feeding/Facilities
Gail Damerow 4th edition (2017).
- Storey’s Guide to Raising Ducks: Breeds, Care, Health
David Holderread 2nd edition (2011).
- Storey’s Guide to Raising Poultry: Breeds, Care, Health
Leonard S. Mercia 4th edition (2012).
- Storey’s Guide to Raising Turkeys: Breeds, Care, Health
Leonard Mercia 3rd edition (2013).
- Storey’s Illustrated Guide to Poultry Breeds
Carol Ekarius (2007).
- Storey’s Guide to Raising Chickens: Care/Feeding/Facilities
- Backyard Poultry: Medford, WI. Call 800.551.5691 or visit Backyard Poultry magazine page on the Countryside Magazines website.
- Good information on breeds and various aspects of feeding and management.
- Purebred Pigeon: Goodlettsville, TN. Call 615.851.9674, e-mail email@example.com, or visit the Purebred Pigeon Magazine website.
- Articles on breeds, feeding, and management. Excellent color photos.
- Fancy Fowl: Write to 159 Creekside Drive, Anderson, AL 35610, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or visit the Fancy Fowl Magazine website.
- The leading magazine of traditional purebred poultry and waterfowl in the U. K. now has an American publication.
- PennState Poultry Extension: An excellent resource with many links to useful poultry websites.
- Poultry Pages
- University of Connecticut Cooperative Extension College of Agriculture, Health and Natural Resources – focused on small-scale poultry operations
- American Livestock Breeds Conservancy (ALBC): “A nonprofit membership organization working to protect over 150 breeds of livestock and poultry from extinction.” Its free downloads include two new poultry resources:
- How to Raise Heritage Turkeys on Pasture. Jeannette Beranger, ed. (2008). Pittsboro, NC: ALBC
- Chicken Assessment for Improving Productivity. Don T. Schrider and Jeannette Beranger (2007). Pittsboro, NC: ALBC.
- National Sustainable Agriculture Information Service Known as ATTRA because of its former name, the Appropriate Technology Transfer for Rural Areas project: Livestock section includes much up-to-date information on alternative poultry production systems and outdoor access.
- The Coop: Dedicated to all the folks around the world who show, raise or breed poultry and related species.
We have listed supply companies that appear to be currently active and advertising in the poultry papers. Most of these companies carry a general line of incubators, feeding and watering equipment, health needs, and general poultry supplies. Specialty companies are indicated.
- Cutlers Poultry and Pheasant Supply Inc., 1940 N. Old 51, Applegate, MI 48401. 810.633.9450.
- EggCartons.com, 24 Holt Road, P.O. Box 302, Manchaug, MA 01526-0302. 888.852.5340.
- The Egg Carton Store, P.O. Box 639, Fox Island, WA 98333, 866.333.1132.
- First State Veterinary Supply Company, P.O. Box 190, Parsonburg, MD 21849. 800.950.8387.
- Foy’s Pet Supplies, 3185 Bennett’s Run Road, Beaver Falls, PA 15010. 877.355.7727.
- G.Q.F. Manufacturing Co., P.O. Box 1552, Savannah, GA 31402-1552. 912.236.0651.
- Horizon Micro-Environments, 133 Beaver Farm Road, Crawford, GA 30630. 800.443.2498. Poultry shipping boxes.
- Keipper Cooping Co., P.O. Box 249, Big Bend, WI 53103. 262.662.2290. Exhibition coops.
- Ketchum Manufacturing Co., 11 Town Shed Road, Lake Luzerne, NY 12846, 800.222.0460. A line of wing and leg bands.
- New England Pigeon Supplies, Tony and Sandi Patti, 95 River Road, Preston, CT 06365. 860.889.0078.
- National Band and Tag Company, 721 York St., Box 72430, Newport, KY 41072-0430, 895.261.2035. Wing bands and tags.
- Smith Game Bird and Poultry Supply, 14000 W. 215th, St. Bucyrus, KS 66013-9519. 913.879.2587.
- Sunny Creek Farms, 15378 160 St., Red Lake Falls, MN 56750. 218.253.2291.
- American Bantam Association, Karen Unrath, Secretary, P.O. Box 127, Augusta, NJ 07822. 973.383.6944.
- American Livestock Breeds Conservancy, P.O. Box 477, Pittsboro, NC 27312.
- American Pastured Poultry Producers Association, P.O. Box 87 Boyd, WI 54726. 888.66APPPA (662.7772).
- American Poultry Association, Pat Horstman, Secretary/Treasurer, P.O. Box 306, Burgettstown, PA 15021. 724.729.3459.
- Guinea Fowl International Association, P.O. Box 367, Paradise, TX 76073.
- National Pigeon Association, Steve and Noelle St. Clair, Secretary/Treasurer, 1717 SE 43rd Terrace, Topeka, KS 66609. 785.267.5732.
- American Pastured Poultry Producers Association (APPPA), P.O. Box 87, Boyd, WI 54726. 888.66APPPA (662.7772). Quarterly newsletter for members. Publishers of Raising Poultry on Pasture (see “Books” above).
- Maine Organic Farmers and Gardeners Association, Jacki Perkins, PO Box 2176, Augusta, ME 04338. Email: email@example.com. 207.568.4142. Offers fact sheets dealing with organic poultry production.
- Central Maine Bird Fanciers, Dick and Linda Blackman (sec.): 207.832.6130 firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com For the exhibition breeder. For the exhibition breeder.
- Maine Food and Agricultural Center, Winslow Hall, University of Maine, Orono, ME 04469-5782. Coordinates and expands research and educational services provided by the University of Maine System, including the Maine Agricultural Experiment Station and University of Maine Cooperative Extension. Publishes research publications and reports.
- Positively Poultry, Carroll Dean, Sect., 149 Thurston Hill Road, Madison, ME 04950-3816. 207.696.3874. For backyard and exhibition breeders.
Processing Facilities (Maine)
- Quality Assurance & Regulations, Red Meat and Poultry Inspection (Maine Department of Agriculture, Conservation & Forestry)
There are many reputable hatcheries around the country; we cannot list them all but we do recommend getting eggs or newly hatched poultry from NPIP participating farms/hatcheries. Here is the contact information for the NPIP program.
- National Poultry Improvement Program website
- NPIP Participants by state – hatcheries that have been tested
- Stock Codes for National Poultry Improvement Program (pdf) – Pullorum tested flocks
Here are hatcheries that are currently advertising in the poultry papers. Most supply a variety of species and breeds and are equipped to ship hatching eggs, day-old stock, and older birds. Specialty hatcheries have been noted. Changes in hatchery information may occur without the authors’ knowledge. When ordering chicks try to get them vaccinated at the hatchery for Marek’s Disease and Coccivac. If chicks are treated with Coccivac then no coccidiostat should be in the feed (get NON -Medicated feed for these chicks.)
- Abendroth Waterfowl Hatchery, W8697 Island Road, Waterloo, WI 53594. 920.478.2053
- Cackle Hatchery, 411 W. Commercial, Lebanon, P.O. Box 529, MO 65536. 417.532.4581
- Hoffman Hatchery Inc., P.O. Box 129, Gratz, PA 17030. 717.365.3494
- Holderreads Waterfowl Farm, (waterfowl specialists) P.O. Box 492, Corvallis, OR 97339. 541.929.5338
- Hoovers Hatchery, P.O. Box 200, 205, Rudd, IA 50471. 800.247.7014
- Ideal Poultry Breeding Farms Inc., Box 591, Cameron, TX 76520-0591. 254.697.6677
- Metzer Farms, (waterfowl and game bird specialists), 26000 Old Stage Road, Gonzales, CA 93926. 800.424.7755
- Moyer’s Chicks, (commercial cross egg and meat chicks) 266 Paletown Road, Quakertown, PA 18951. 215.536.3155
- Mt. Healthy Hatchery, 9839 Winton Road, Cincinnati, OH 45231. 800.151.5603
- Murray McMurray Hatchery, P.O. Box 458, Webster City, IA 50595-0458. 515.832.3280
- Privett Hatchery, P.O. Box 176, Portales, NM 88130. 505.356.6425
- Sandhill Preservation Center, (an excellent source for some of the rare breeds) 1878 230th St., Calamus, IA 52729. 563.246.2299
- Seven Oaks (Hampstead) Game Farm, (game birds, Coturnix quail, equipment) 7823 Masonboro Sound Road, Wilmington, NC 28407-2672. 910.297.0685
- Stromberg’s, P.O. Box 400, Pine River, MN 56474. 218.587.2222
- Townline Hatchery, P.O. Box 108, Zeeland, MI 49464-0108. 616.772.6514
- Welp Inc., PO Box 77, Bancroft, IA 50517. 800.458.4473
University of Maine
- Colt Knight, Assistant Professor of Extension – State Livestock Specialist, University of Maine, Cooperative Extension, 5735 Hitchner Hall, Rm 133, Orono, Maine 04469. Tel: 207-581-2953, 800# in-state 800-287-0274. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Richard Brzozowski, Extension Professor/Educator, University of Maine Cooperative Extension, P.O. Box 9300, Portland, ME 04104. 800.287.1471. Email: email@example.com
- Anne Lichtenwalner, Extension Veterinarian, University of Maine Cooperative Extension, 5735 Hitchner Hall, Orono, ME 04409-5735. 207.581.2788. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Donna Coffin, Extension Professor, University of Maine Cooperative Extension, 307 Maine Ave., Bangor, ME 04401, 207.942.7396, email@example.com
- Michele Walsh, State Veterinarian, Maine Department of Agriculture, Conservation and Forestry. 207.287.7615. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Donna Flint, Poultry Health Technician, Maine Department of Agriculture, Conservation and Forestry. 207.557.4623. Email: email@example.com
- Celeste Poulin, Director, Maine Department of Agriculture’s Division of Quality Assurance and Regulation. 207.287.3841. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Profitable Poultry: Raising Birds on Pasture, Valerie Berton and David Mudd (2006). Beltsville: Sustainable Agriculture Network
Touches on production, processing, marketing and resources for poultry production. 301.504.5411. Email: email@example.com. Website: SARE Sustainable Agriculture Research & Education
- University of Maine Cooperative Extension Publications Catalog’s Poultry page. Most are available for free download.
Note: Where trade names or company names are noted in this document, no discrimination is intended and no endorsement by the University of Maine Cooperative Extension is implied.