Extension Leadership Team Meeting Minutes September 16, 2019
Extension Leadership Team Meeting Minutes
September 16, 2019
UMA: 111 Robinson Hall
Facilitator: Fran Sulinski
Notetaker: Lisa Phelps
Please note: Due to the confidentiality and sensitivity of some agenda items, these ELT minutes do not represent the full content of each meeting.
- Organizational Conference Update – 1) Prizes to attendees will be awarded during the meeting. 2) As a way to help support the Eat Well Volunteers Program, organizational meeting attendees might be asked to bring a measuring cup set, or a measuring spoon set, or a pot holder, or a spatula. The program distributes these types of items to the recipients at food pantries. 3) There will be a silent auction with proceeds going to Maine’s responsibility to the Northeast County Agricultural Agents Association (NECAA) for hosting the AMPIC in 2021 in Philadelphia.
- Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Committee – Currently working on a session for the Organizational Conference.
- Board of Trustees Highlights
- Colt Knight recently received the Achievement Award from the National Association of County Agricultural Agents at their national meeting in Fort Wayne, IN.
- David Handley has been appointed as the Northeast Director and a member of the Board for the National Association of County Agricultural Agents.
- The Maine 4-H program is participating in the Eastern States Exposition (The Big E) from September 15-29. There are more than 80 youth from Maine participating in the animal science shows and programs and we also have a group of youth participating in the New England Center program doing educational demonstrations and educational talks focused on STEM. At the time of this ELT meeting, the 4-H Dairy Team from Maine had just finished first in the quiz bowl and in the fitting & show competition.
Filling Administrative Assistant position at Highmoor Farm
The ELT supported the request to fill the Administrative Specialist Position at Highmoor Farm due to resignation.
Crops Specialist – Agronomist Position (Aroostook County)
This position is on hold until our budget situation for FY21 is known. This will hopefully be clarified in December.
Request for space in York Complex
The ELT approved a request from Kate Yerxa for the allocation of two offices in York Complex to house the new EFENP Nutrition Education Professional, and temporary support staff as needed.
Gathering partnership information for UMaine
UMaine administration is requesting that Extension and other departments provide information on community and other partners with whom we work. Hannah is representing Extension as administration develops information gathering and reporting mechanisms.
Planning and Reporting on MPRS
Faculty and professionals have a Nov. 1 deadline to report their activities on MPRS. Each year we receive a number of exceptional impact statements from various staff, and yet some of our stellar programs don’t get reported. The ELT will be monitoring reporting and may make targeted requests for impact statements to be sure the full breadth and depth of our programs are being reported. Jon Prichard is willing to help any staff in writing or fine-tuning their statements.
2020 Hall of Flags
The 2020 Hall of Flags event featuring Cooperative Extension has been scheduled for Thursday, February 6 at the Maine State House. The ELT brainstormed some possible themes including “Extension Impacts on Maine Communities”; “Extension’s Innovative Programs” (Innovation); “Extension’s Role in Workforce Development”. At the September 30 ELT meeting, we will select a theme and identify displays to be included in the Hall of Flags for 2020.
UMaine Extension tour for interim provost
On November 1st from 8am – 1pm, we have the opportunity to educate and inform Interim Provost Faye Gilbert on UMaine Extension. The ELT brainstormed some ideas for the tour. Hannah will develop a draft agenda and share with the ELT and, when finalized, with the organization.
Extension Awards at the Organizational Meeting
Hannah is planning to incorporate one or more staff awards at this year’s organizational conference. The ELT brainstormed ideas for awards, including innovation, accomplishment, and a “Dean’s Choice Award.”
Flexible Staff Development
The ELT reminds staff that Flexible Staff Development funds for 2020 are available as of October 1, 2019, and to remember that these annual funds do not carry over from year to year.
Extension Livestock Specialist, Colt Knight recently received the Achievement Award from the National Association of County Agricultural Agents at the national meeting in Fort Wayne, IN.
Administrative Specialist CL3 – Bryant Pond – Preparing to advertise
4-H Youth Development Professional – Oxford County – Sara Johnson hired
4-H Youth Development Professional – Waldo County – Sadee Mehuren hired
4-H Youth Development Professional – York County – Advertising
Biocontainment Research Scientist – Andrew Holmes hired
Community Education Assistant (4-H) – Hancock – Zabet NeuCollins hired
Community Education Assistant (4-H) – Penobscot/Piscataquis – Advertising
Crops Entomology Educator – Advertising
EFNEP Education and Training Coordinator – Advertising
EFNEP Nutrition Education Professional – Advertising
Extension Crops Specialist – Preparing to advertise (on hold)
Parent Education Program Manager – Waldo – Interviewing
Program Coordinator – Bryant Pond and Greenland Point – Haleigh White hired
2019 – 2020 ELT Meeting Dates
Meetings are from 9:00 am to 3:30 pm, unless otherwise noted
|September 30||Phelps||Carter||Orono: 102B Libby Hall|
|October 18||Carter||Prichard||Orono: 102B Libby Hall|
|October 30||Prichard||Harrington||UMA: 111 Robinson Hall|
|November 18||Harrington||Brzozowski||Orono: 102B Libby Hall|
|December 13||Brzozowski||Sulinski||Orono: 102B Libby Hall|
|January 2||Sulinski||Phelps||UMA: 111 Robinson Hall|
|January 30||Phelps||Carter||Orono: 102B Libby Hall|
|February 13||Carter||Prichard||Orono: 102B Libby Hall|
|March 9||Prichard||Harrington||UMA: 111 Robinson Hall|
|April 2||Harrington||Brzozowski||Orono: 102B Libby Hall|
|April 30||Brzozowski||Sulinski||Orono: 102B Libby Hall|
|May 15||Sulinski||Phelps||UMA: 111 Robinson Hall|
|June 4||Phelps||Carter||Orono: 102B Libby Hall|