4-H News in Washington County – January 2023
January 12 & 19: Starting Your 4-H Volunteer Journey Volunteer Training
January 16: Office Closed
January 17: Registration Deadline for Maine 4-H Engineering Virtual Club
January 21: 4-H Public Speaking Workshop, Bangor
January 25: 4-H Volunteer Training: Growing Life Skills Through Animal Science
January 28: 4-H Public Speaking Workshop, Edmunds Consolidated School
February 24: Deadline- 4-H Equity Challenge
March 4: Washington County 4-H Public Speaking Tournament
March 5: Snow Date-Washington County 4-H Public Speaking Tournament
March 9-12: National 4-H Youth Summit, Washington D.C.
April 8: State 4-H Public Speaking Tournament, Orono
The 4-H staff want to send a big THANK YOU to all 4-H members, volunteers, parents, and families! We are looking forward to 2023 and hope you are too! Here are a few of the fun events and some new things to get excited about:
- Public Speaking – A 4-H Public Speaking Workshop is scheduled on January 28 at Edmunds Consolidated School. Come find out more about public speaking! An in-person Washington County 4-H Public Speaking Tournament has been scheduled for March 4 at the University of Maine at Machias. The Maine 4-H State Public Speaking Tournament is scheduled for April 8 in Orono!
- Photo Contest – Start snapping photos now to submit later this year!
- National 4-H Trips – such as Citizen Washington Focus are open to teens in Washington County and are a great opportunity to travel and learn by doing in the 4-H way.
- SPIN Clubs– We are always looking for volunteers to conduct these short term, special interest clubs. Please contact the office to see how you can become involved!
- Project Records– Start your project record now! Project records can be found on the Maine 4-H Project Record website.
- Greenland Point 4-H Camp and Learning Center– Our office offers camp scholarships to enrolled 4-H members in Washington County!
- AND SO MUCH MORE!!!! Stay updated by reading the newsletter, visiting the Washington County 4-H website and Facebook page.
You will receive an email soon regarding 4-H insurance and a few other housekeeping items for clubs and 4-H groups.
The Cobscook Currents 4-H Club is starting up again! The first meeting will take place on Wednesday, January 18th from 3-4 p.m. at the Edmunds Consolidated School. Cobscook Currents is open to youth in grades 3 through 12. The club will feature robotics, public speaking, and photography! If you are interested in joining, please contact Gabrielle Brodek, for more information, to request a reasonable accommodation or to register. Gabrielle can be reached at 207.255.3345 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Wednesday, January 25, 2023, 6:30-8:00 p.m. (virtual)
Registration Deadline: Tuesday, January 24, 2023
Northeast Region Volunteer Connections, Session 3
Livestock projects and animal science is not just about getting youth into the show ring. How we make connections to life outside the ring can provide youth with skills that will last a lifetime. Join us to hear some perspectives on how to up your animal science game! Register here!
- Maine 4-H Equity Challenge for all Maine Youth
Are you a photographer? A performer? A writer? Then consider the 4-H Equity Challenge. The challenge is for youth ages 5-19 to create a digital photograph, a performance, a presentation, or a writing piece that tells why every Maine youth belongs in a welcoming and inclusive environment. There are prizes based on age. This challenge is open to any 4-H’er or partner organization in Maine.There are helpful guides and a rubric to help you understand what judges will look for in an entry. To submit an entry or to find out more information go to the Maine 4-H Equity Challenge webpage [extension.umaine.edu/4h/youth/equity-challenge/].To participate, submit a creation by February 24, 2023.
- Maine 4-H Engineering Virtual Club
Registration is now open for the Maine 4-H Engineering Club, which will introduce basic engineering skills by exploring a different topic each week. Each week will have a new hands-on engineering challenge to work on while making connections with fellow 4-H engineers around the state! UMaine Extension 4-H staff will lead the challenges.The club is free; limited to 20 participants. Register by January 17 on the event webpage [extension.umaine.edu/4h/virtual-learning-hub/engineering-spin-club-registration/] to receive the link and at-home materials. For more information or to request a reasonable accommodation, contact 207.581.8206 or email@example.com. Additional information also is available on the Extension 4-H Virtual Learning webpage.
- State Public Speaking Tournament – Save the Date!
Our state public speaking tournament will be held on April 8, 2023 at DP Corbett Hall on the University of Maine campus. Youth must qualify for this event by achieving a score of 78 or higher at their county or regional tournament. Check with your county 4-H staff to find out when your county tournament will be held.
- Public Speaking In-Person Workshop
The Maine 4-H Communication Science Team invites all enrolled 4-H members to an in-person workshop on January 21st from 2 – 4 pm. The meeting will be held at the Penobscot County Extension Office in Bangor. Participants will learn how to prepare for county/regional public speaking contests for both Demonstrations and Illustrated Talks. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information or to register.
- 2023 4-H Volunteer Training Opportunities
As we get ready for the new 4-H year, we are looking forward to offering a variety of learning experiences (both in person and virtual) for our 4-H volunteers. Sessions are free of charge, but require registration. Some sessions have limited space. Visit the 4-H Volunteer Calendar of Training Opportunities to learn more and register!
- Androscoggin/Sagadahoc 4-H Monthly Workshops – Open to All Maine 4-Hers!
Come join the Androscoggin and Sagadahoc counties 4-H program at their monthly workshops – the Third Friday of every month (unless otherwise noted) from 6:00 – 7:30 pm at the Lisbon Extension Office at 24 Main Street. Anyone interested can contact Cathy Gray to find out more information.Currently Scheduled Topics:
– January 20, 2023 – “Getting the Word Out” Digital Marketing
– February 17, 2023 – Short Film Making
– March 10, 2023 – Spa & Relaxation Science
– April 21, 2023 – Movie Premier Night
– May 19, 2023 – Wool Spinning Workshop