“Come Grow with 4-H” Garden Exhibit at the Washington County Fair
2022 Washington County 4-H Garden Exhibit Requirements and Guidelines for Washington County Fair
All Washington County youth between the ages of 5 and 18 are welcome!
Washington County Fair: August 27th- 28th
- Drop-off: Friday, August 26, 2022 12-3:00 p.m. at fairgrounds or dropped off at the UMaine Cooperative Extension in Machias by 4:00 p.m., Thursday, August 25
- Judging: Friday, August 26, 2022 from 3-4:30 p.m.
- Pick- Up: Sunday, August 28, 2022 from 2-3:00 p.m. at the fairgrounds
Exhibits must include a completed exhibit card attached with the exhibit (cards are available from the Washington County Cooperative Extension Office). Exhibits must remain until pick up on Sunday, August 28th by 3:00 p.m.
“Come Grow with 4-H” Garden Exhibit Entry Guidelines
- Entries in the “Come Grow with 4-H” Garden Exhibit are open to enrolled Washington County 4-H members. 4-H youth must be re-enrolled by December 31st of each subsequent year to participate in future exhibits with the Washington County Fair. Not a current member? You can enroll in 4-H when you register your exhibit!
- Pre-register with the Extension office with intent to submit entry into the 4-H Garden Exhibit by completing the online registration form or by contacting the office at 207.255.3345 or emailing email@example.com by Friday, August 19, 2022.
- Produce for the “Come Grow with 4-H” Garden Exhibits must be grown by the 4-H member during the October 2021- September 2022 4-H year.
- Each 4-H youth can enter a maximum of three entries.
- Maine 4-H uses the Danish System of non-competitive judging. All entries are judged based on how well it displays the appropriate skills for member age and skill level, except for Cloverbuds (see guideline 6). Entries are not judged against each other. A judge’s decision is final.
- University of Maine 4-H Cloverbud Policy states exhibitors ages 5-8 will receive an honorarium and a Cloverbud Ribbon. Cloverbuds are considered beginner level and all Cloverbud entries are submitted for non-competitive display only.
- There will be one “Best of Show” Ribbon awarded for the “Come Grow with 4-H” Garden Exhibit.
- UMaine Cooperative Extension/4-H and the Washington County Fair distinctly disclaim any liability for loss or damage to exhibits. We will afford the best protection possible for exhibits, but please be aware that there is no security at the 4-H Garden Exhibit.
4-H Garden Exhibit Categories
Vegetables: Vegetables should be brushed clean (do not wash), trimmed, and fresh. Display vegetables on a plate and include the name of the variety/type for the display.
- Vegetables grown in heads (1 specimen): cabbage, cauliflower, broccoli, etc.
- Small vine crops (10 specimens): beans, peas, etc.
- Large vine crops (1 specimen): cucumbers, pumpkins, squash, gourds, etc.
- Root crops (3 specimens): potatoes, carrots, beets, onion, turnips, etc.
- Other (1-3 specimens): corn, peppers, eggplants, tomatoes (may be green), etc.
- Family Garden collection of 3 or more vegetables in a basket or special container.
Flowers: Vase of cut flowers, corsage or in foam from flower garden.
Herbs: Five stems of a single or multiple herbs arranged in a container. Include the name(s) of the variety/type of herb for the display.
Indoor Gardening: A display of indoor plants such as a potted houseplant, dish garden or terrarium, dried flower arrangement, indoor vegetable/herb garden, etc.
Fair Ribbons and Premiums
Ribbons: In Maine 4-H, ribbons traditionally awarded by the Danish system are:
- Blue: for excellence, exceeding the standards
- Red: for good work that meets the expected standard
- White: for work that falls below the expected standard
- Green: Cloverbuds (ages 5-8)
- Blue Ribbon: $5
- Red Ribbon: $4
- White Ribbon: $3
- Cloverbuds: $2 honorarium
Online registration has closed. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for further information.
The University of Maine is an EEO/AA employer and does not discriminate on the grounds of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, transgender status, gender expression, national origin, citizenship status, age, disability, genetic information or veteran’s status in employment, education, and all other programs and activities. The following person has been designated to handle inquiries regarding non-discrimination policies: Director of Equal Opportunity, 101 North Stevens Hall, University of Maine, Orono, ME 04469-5754, 207.581.1226, TTY 711 (Maine Relay System).