Washington County 4-H Camp in a Box
- How it Works
- Camp in a Box Descriptions
- Submit Photos and Videos
Camp in a Box is hosted by University of Maine Cooperative Extension 4-H program in Washington County and the 4-H Camp and Learning Center at Greenland Point.
- 4-H Camp in a Box is open to Washington County, Maine youth only.
- Registration opens June 14th and closes June 23rd (due to limited availability of kits, registration may close early if all kits are checked out for each session).
- Sign up for the Camp in a Box you are interested in doing (we will do our best to get you your first choice but due to limited availability, you may get your second or third choice).
- Sign up for the Session (date) you would like to participate (we will do our best to sign out kits to you on your preferred session date but due to high demand it will vary).
- We will send you an email and call to confirm the local pickup and drop off.
- Take photos and videos to document your experience!
- Submit your photos and videos on our 4-H Camp in a Box in the form below.
- Adult supervision is required for all 4-H at-home activities
- Be respectful and participate fully in the program
- Treat the materials and kits with respect and be prepared to return them to the designated drop off location
- Abide by all UMaine and State/Federal safety guidelines (this may include some restrictions due to COVID-19)
- Submit photo/video documentation of your participation in this event
- HAVE FUN
- Session 1: June 25-July 1, 2021
- Session 2: July 9-16, 2021
- Session 3: July 23-30, 2021
- Session 4: August 6-13, 2021
Camp kits can be picked up at the Washington County office of the University of Maine Cooperative Extension located at 28 Center Street in Machias between the hours of 8:00 a.m. and Noon. If you need to pick up kits outside these hours or need an accommodation, please contact the office at 207.255.3345 or 1.800.287.1542 (toll free within Maine).
All About Water | Become an expert on your local waterbody! This kit includes the tools needed for collecting and studying a water sample from your local watershed. Use the Downeast Coastal Conservancy trail map to take a short hike, collect a water sample and a few pieces of information or data. Record your data and share the information with us on the form below.
Backyard Birding | Are you curious about the birds you see or hear? This kit includes instructions and basic tools for identifying birds. Use the binoculars and bird guide to find a diversity of birds in your own backyard. Also included are instructions to build a bird feeder. Get creative and design your own bird feeder or house. Share your creation on the form below.
Family Fishing | This kit includes everything needed for a day of fishing with the family: a fishing pole, lures and identification cards. Recipes are included to use your fish for lunch or dinner. Get creative and develop your own recipe. Share your recipe on the form below.
Family Gardening | Explore the joys of gardening. Use this kit to start a garden at home. Learn about different plants and how they grow by observing and collecting your own data. Use the garden vegetables or herbs to create recipes. Share your experience or recipes on the form below.
Tracking Wildlife | See an animal track or scat and wonder what animals are roaming in your area? Use the Tracking Wildlife Camp in a Box to explore the various signs of wildlife around you. A field guide is available to help you identify tracks or make your own cast of a track! Share your findings with us on the form below.
Online registration is now closed, however, the kits are still available to borrow. Please contact Brittany Foster at email@example.com to request.
Document your participation by taking photos and/or videos! Submit your photos and videos in the form below:
- What is this picture showing us?
- What were you learning in this picture?
- What were you thinking when this picture was taken?
4-H Camp in a Box Photos and Video Submission Form