Master Gardener Class – January 30, 2018
This is my first blog post for this year’s class with many more to come. Our class next Tuesday morning at 8:30 will be on Soils Part I and Home Composting.
This is the page to please BOOKMARK for one-stop shopping for all your York County Master Gardener Forms and Information, including links to the training manual, reporting form, and much more.
Here is the link to your Master Gardener Online Manual. Bookmark this site. One of the Pest Management Chapters is password protected. We will email you the password when we get to that point in the training.
Here is the link to the Class Core Competencies you will be achieving in this class:
Reading — Soils Homework
Familiarize yourself with the Soils Chapter of your Online Manual and in particular review:
- Soil and Plant Nutrition a Gardeners Perspective
- Soil Organic Matter
- Using Green Manures — MOFGA Fact Sheet (PDF)
- Natural Sources of Plant Nutrients (PDF)
Reading — Home Composting Homework
Review Links for Seed Starting Information:
- Making Newspaper Pots (PDF)
- Seed Starting at Home
- Making a Seed Starting Stand Video
- PVC Seed Starting Stand Plans (Word). By the way, I forgot to mention all you need to cut the PVC is a hacksaw. It is very easy to cut.
- PVC Seed Starting Plans (PDF)
- Wood Seed Starting Plans (Word)
- Wood Seed Starting Plans (PDF)
I think this is enough for your first week of homework. Please have your soils and compost reading done and be ready to roll on Tuesday!