Cumberland County Open House and Annual Meeting
Wednesday, September 6, 2023
5:00 – 7:00 p.m.
UMaine Gardens at Tidewater Farm
200 Presumpscot Point Rd., Falmouth, ME
The 2023 Open Houser provided an opportunity to learn about UMaine Extension’s work in Cumberland County, explore the Gardens at Tidewater Farm, attend a short presentation, and participate in a King Arthur Baking Company Pie Bake-Off. Light refreshments and locally made ice cream were provided. No registration was required.
2023 Schedule of Events
|5:00p.m.||Open House begins|
|King Arthur Baking Company Pie Bake-Off entries accepted|
|5:40p.m.||“The Role of Honeybees in Our Food System” by Peter Richardson|
|Pie Bake-Off Judging|
|6:00p.m.||Friend of Extension and Other Awards|
|6:30p.m.||Open House continues|
For more information about our 2023 King Arthur Baking Company Pie Bake-Off, including rules and a prize list, please visit our pie contest page.
Local beekeeper, Peter Richardson, discussed the role of honeybees in our food system and how Mainers can support pollinators in their own backyard.
Peter Richardson was born and raised in Portland, Maine, and currently resides in South Portland with his wife Beth. They have two grown sons and two grandchildren. He retired from a career in financial services in December 2021.
Peter has been keeping bees since 2008. He is active in the local beekeeping community including:
- Teaching many beekeeping classes including Beginner Beekeeping at the University of Maine Cooperative Extension office in Falmouth
- Mentoring numerous beginning beekeepers
- Former President, Cumberland County Beekeepers Association
- Former Board member, Maine Beekeepers Association
- Certified Master Beekeeper by the Eastern Apicultural Society in 2012
- Guest speaker on honeybees at civic and community organizations
Questions? Call us at 781.6099 or 1.800.287.1471 or email email@example.com.
For more information or to request a disability accommodation, call 207.781.6099.