Why Write a Farm Food Safety Plan?
A Farm Food Safety Plan (FFSP) is a comprehensive document that details your commitment to Produce Safety in all aspects of your operation. The FSMA Produce Safety Rule regulation does not require you to write a food Safety Plan for your farm. Still, there are many benefits to having one in place.
- It helps you manage the food safety risks you identify on your farm.
- Improves the quality and shelf-life of your produce by reducing the number of harmful microorganisms that are present on the produce.
- Improves produce handling efficiency by clearly defining your practices, policies, and SOPs. Everyone on your farm will handle produce in the same food-safe way.
- It makes a third-party audit quicker and easier by having all of your produce safety information in one place.
- Helps if there is an outbreak or a recall and you are asked for farm produce safety procedures and records.