Acorn Squash Soup with Kale
Number of Servings: 4 | Serving Size: 1 cup
4 strips bacon, cut crosswise into ½-inch pieces
1 medium onion, finely chopped
4 to 6 cups kale, washed, thick stems removed, leaves finely chopped
4 cups acorn squash puree* or 2 (12 ounce) boxes frozen winter squash puree, thawed
3 cups chicken broth or water or a combination of both
1 teaspoon ground ginger
Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large saucepan (at least 3 quart size), cook bacon over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until crisp. When crisp, using a slotted spoon, remove bacon to a paper towel lined plate and set aside.
- Add onion to the bacon fat in the pan and cook until softened (about 4 to 5 minutes).
- Add kale to pot with onion and cook until soft (3 to 4 minutes).
- Add squash puree and 3 cups of either chicken broth or water or a combination of both. Bring soup to a boil. More water or broth may be added to reach desired consistency. Add the 1 teaspoon ginger and salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve soup topped with reserved bacon.