Acorn Squash Soup with Kale
Recipe Ingredients and Instructions to Download and Print: Acorn Squash Soup with Kale (PDF)
Serves: 8 | Serving Size: 1 cup
1 tablespoon oil, vegetable or canola
1-2 teaspoons garlic, minced
1 medium onion, finely chopped
5 cups kale, washed, thick stems removed, leaves finely chopped
4 cups acorn squash puree (~2 medium squash) or 2 (12 ounce) boxes frozen winter squash puree, thawed
3 cups chicken or vegetable broth
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon salt or to taste
1/8 teaspoon pepper or to taste
(optional) 4 strips bacon, cooked* and then cut into ½-inch pieces
- Over medium-high heat, add oil into a large saucepan (at least 3 quart size.)
- Add minced garlic and onion, and cook until softened (about 4 to 5 minutes.)
- Add kale to the pot and cook until soft (3 to 4 minutes.)
- Add the squash puree and 3 cups of broth. Bring soup to a boil, more broth may be added to reach desired consistency. Add ground ginger, salt, and pepper to taste.
- Optional: serve soup topped with cooked and cut bacon.
*Recommend cooking bacon on a lined sheet pan in the oven according to the package directions.