Recipe Ingredients and Instructions to Download and Print: Apple Squash Casserole (PDF)
Serves: 8 | Serving size: 1/2 cup
3 apples (~4 cups sliced), cut into ½-inch slices
1 medium butternut squash (~6 cups sliced), peeled and cut into ½-inch slices
1 teaspoon nutmeg
1.5 teaspoon cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Cut apples into ½-inch slices leaving the skin on.
- Peel, cut the squash in half, scoop out the seeds, and cut the squash into ½-inch slices.
- Tip: cut the ends off of squash and microwave on high for ~30 seconds on a microwave safe plate to peel easier.
- Alternate layers of squash, apples, nutmeg, and cinnamon in an 8 x 8-inch pan, ending with apples on the top layer.
- Cover pan with aluminum foil and bake at 350 degrees F for about 45-60 minutes, or until squash is tender.
- Remove foil and bake another 10-15 minutes to remove any excess liquid that might have accumulated.
- Cool slightly before serving.
The original version of this recipe is in UMaine Extension bulletin #4176. Some content was adapted with permission from the University of Massachusetts Cooperative Extension.