Banana Oatmeal Bread
Recipe Ingredients and Instructions to Download and Print: Banana Oatmeal Bread (PDF)
Serves: 12 | Serving Size: 1 slice
1/3 cup oil (canola or vegetable)
2 eggs, beaten
2/3 cup white sugar
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup quick cooking oats
11⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
1⁄2 teaspoon salt
1 cup mashed bananas (3 medium bananas)
1⁄4 cup chopped raisins or nuts (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Grease or spray a 9×5” loaf pan.
- Beat the oil and eggs with a mixer.
- Add sugar and beat until fluffy.
- Mix flour, oats, baking soda, and salt in a bowl.
- Add flour mixture and mashed bananas to oil and egg mixture. Add raisins or nuts if you want. Stir until blended.
- Pour mixture into loaf pan. Lay a piece of tinfoil over the top of the pan. Bake for 50 to 60 minutes. When you poke a toothpick near the center of the bread, make sure it comes out clean.
- Remove bread from the oven and let it cool for 5-10 minutes. Run a knife between the bread and the sides of the pan. Turn the pan upside down on a baking rack. Cool bread before you cut it.
- You can make this bread without a mixer. Beat the oil and eggs with a lot of energy with a spoon. The bread will rise more if you beat more air into it.
- Put whole bananas in the freezer, if they are dark and spotted. Thaw, peel, and mash them when you are ready to make banana bread.
- Store the bread in the refrigerator.
This material is provided by Iowa State University Extension and Outreach. For more tips like this, visit the Spend Smart, Eat Smart website.