Recipe Ingredients and Instructions to Download and Print: Braised Cabbage (PDF)
Serves: 12 | Serving size: 1/2 cup
1 tablespoon oil
1 large onion, chopped
4 cups red or green cabbage (~1/4 head of cabbage), cored and thinly sliced
2 apples, thinly sliced into half-moons
1 cup warm water
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 tablespoon vinegar
- Heat the oil in a large skillet and add the onion. Sauté the onion for 1 minute.
- Remove the outer layer of the cabbage, core, and thinly slice cabbage.
- Add the cabbage and apple and cook for 5 minutes.
- Combine the water, brown sugar, and vinegar.
- Add this mixture to the cabbage mixture and cook covered over low heat for 20 minutes. Stir every 5 minutes.
- Serve the cabbage hot or cold.