Cheesy Pasta with Summer Veggies
Recipe Ingredients and Instructions to Download and Print: Cheesy Pasta with Summer Veggies (PDF)
Serves: 6 | Serving Size: 1-1⁄2 cups
4 cups assorted vegetables, sliced (zucchini, broccoli, peas)
1 cup grape or fresh tomatoes (chopped and seeds removed)
2 cups uncooked whole wheat pasta (rotini, bow tie, penne)
11⁄2 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 medium garlic cloves, minced, or 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic salt
1⁄2 cup onion, chopped (about 1⁄2 medium onion)
1 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
1⁄4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
1⁄4 cup Parmesan cheese
1⁄2 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- Wash and prepare vegetables and tomatoes.
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain water from cooked pasta and save 1⁄4 cup of water.
- Heat oil in a large skillet as pasta cooks. Add garlic and onion to skillet. Sauté over medium heat about 1-2 minutes or until soft.
- Add any uncooked hard vegetables and cook for 3 minutes. Add soft vegetables and continue to cook. Add Italian seasoning, salt and pepper. Add tomatoes last and cook until warm.
- Add cooked drained pasta to the vegetables. Add a little of the water from the pasta, if needed.
- Add cheeses to mixture. Stir until cheese is mostly melted. Serve immediately.
- Pasta and cheese may help picky eaters enjoy vegetables. Vary the flavors and colors.
- Add protein to this dish by stirring in cooked beans, meat or fish.
- Use thawed frozen vegetables in this recipe.
- Keep pasta on hand and use when you have extra vegetables.
- Use this recipe for a quick, delicious, and nutritious meal.
This material is provided by Iowa State University Extension and Outreach. For more tips like this, visit the Spend Smart, Eat Smart website.