Beets, Harvard Style
Recipe Ingredients and Instructions to Download and Print: Beets, Harvard Style (PDF)
Serves: 6 | Serving Size: 1 cup
6-8 medium beets, about 6-8 cups pre-sliced beets
1/2 cup sugar
1 tablespoon cornstarch
2 tablespoons butter
1/2 cup orange juice
- Cook beets, covered in boiling water for 35-50 minutes.
- Cool slightly, cut off the ends of the beets, rub off skins under cold water, and slice.
- Combine sugar and corn starch.
- In a small pot, melt butter. Add the sugar and corn starch mixture, and 1/2 cup orange juice. Mix well. Simmer 5 minutes. Stir often.
- Pour over beets. Mix and serve.
- Canned beets (sliced or whole) can be used in this recipe instead of whole fresh beets.
- If using canned beets skip steps #1 and #2.
- Decrease sugar to 1/4 cup for the glaze to be less sweet.