Massaged Kale Salad
Recipe Ingredients and Instructions to Download and Print: Massaged Kale Salad (PDF)
Serves: 8 | Serving Size: 1 cup
1 bunch kale
4 medium carrots (about 2 cups grated carrots)
3 celery stalks
1 Tablespoon, plus 1⁄4 cup olive oil
2 Tablespoons honey
1/8 teaspoon salt
1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
1⁄4 cup sunflower seeds
- Wash kale, carrots, celery and apples, and lemon.
- Separate kale leaves from the stalk and tear them into bite-sized pieces (about 2 x 2 inches). Discard kale stalks.
- Grate the carrots and dice apples and celery and set aside.
- Place kale leaves in a large bowl. Cut the lemon in half and set one half aside. In the bowl with the kale leaves, squeeze all the juice out of the remaining lemon half.
- Drizzle 1 Tablespoon of olive oil and salt into the bowl with kale and lemon juice. Massage kale until it starts to soften (2 to 3 minutes).
- In a small bowl, squeeze the juice from the remaining half of the lemon and whisk together with honey and black pepper. Gradually whisk in 1⁄4 cup olive oil to make the dressing.
- Add apples, celery, carrots, sunflower seeds, and dressing to the kale and toss together.
- Replace apples with pears, mandarin oranges, strawberries, or craisins.