Recipe Ingredients and Instructions to Download and Print: Rhubarb Muffins (PDF)
Makes 18 servings | Serving size: 1 muffin
3 cups flour
1 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1⅓ cups nonfat buttermilk *
⅓ cup canola oil
2 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups chopped rhubarb stalks (2-4 stalks depending on size)**
½ cup chopped nuts (optional)
- Grease 18 standard-size muffin cups. Preheat oven to 400°F.
- In a large mixing bowl, stir together flour, brown sugar, and baking soda. Set aside.
- In a medium-size bowl, place the eggs, buttermilk, oil, and vanilla. Mix well using a fork or a whisk.
- Add the buttermilk mixture, chopped rhubarb, and nuts (if using) to the flour mixture. Stir just until the dry ingredients are moistened. Do not over mix.
- Fill greased muffin cups at least 2/3
- Bake in preheated 400°F oven for 12 to 15 minutes. Test for doneness by sticking a toothpick in the center of the muffin. When done, the toothpick should come out clean, without any wet batter.
- Let muffins cool 2 – 3 minutes before removing from pan.
- * You can easily make a substitution for buttermilk if you don’t have any on hand. The general rule for one cup of buttermilk is to put 1 tablespoon vinegar or lemon juice in a measuring cup and add skim milk to the one cup line and let it sit for 5 minutes. For this recipe, put 4 teaspoons vinegar or lemon juice in a 2 cup measuring cup and add skim milk till it measures 1⅓ cup.
- ** For best results, be sure rhubarb stalks are finely chopped. First cut stalks lengthwise 1-3 times, depending on the thickness of the stalks. Then, using a knife or clean scissors, cut the stalks into slices about ¼” thick.