Savory Bean Stew
Makes 4 servings | Serving size: 1cup
1 cup dry navy (also called pea) beans
4 cups boiling water
½ cup onion, sliced
1 cup lean, cooked ham, diced
½ teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
2 cups carrots, sliced in rounds
½ cup celery, diced
1 Tablespoon flour
2 Tablespoons water
- Add beans that have been sorted and rinsed to boiling water.
- Boil beans for 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from heat, cover and let stand for 1 hour.
- Return to boiling; add onion, ham, salt and pepper. Boil uncovered for 5 minutes, then cover and boil gently for 1 hour.
- Add carrots and celery. Cook until tender, about 20 minutes.
- Mix flour with 2 tablespoons water until smooth. Add slowly to beans, stir and cook until thickened.