Serves: 12 | Serving Size: 1 pretzel
1 package active dry yeast
11⁄2 cups warm water
1 teaspoon salt
1 Tablespoon sugar
3 cups white flour
1 cup whole grain flour
Vegetable oil or spray
1 egg, beaten
Coarse salt (optional)
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- In a mixing bowl, add yeast to warm water.
- Mix salt, sugar, and both flours into yeast and water until dough is formed.
- Roll dough into a circle.
- Cut dough into 12 portions with pizza cutter or sharp knife. If children are helping you prepare the pretzels, give each child a ball of dough to roll and twist into any shape. Alphabet letter shapes are fun to make.
- Lay pretzel dough on lightly greased cookie sheet.
- Brush or spoon beaten egg on pretzels.
- Sprinkle with coarse salt, if desired.
- Bake at 425°F for 12-15 minutes.
Dough can be sprinkled with Parmesan cheese, sesame seeds, poppy seeds, garlic salt, grill seasoning, etc. Table salt may be substituted for coarse salt (sprinkle lightly). To lower sodium, omit salt.
Recipe Ingredients and Instructions to Download and Print: Soft Pretzels Recipe and Instruction Sheet (PDF).