Recipe Ingredients and Instructions to Download and Print: Taco Pie (PDF)
Serves: 8 | Serving Size: 1/8 pie
1 (15.5 oz.) can of beans (kidney or pinto) or 1/2 pound lean ground beef or ground turkey
1 Tbsp. oil
1/2 cup chopped onion
Taco Seasoning Mix (see recipe below)
1-1/4 cup skim or 1% milk
3/4 cup All-Purpose Convenience Mix
2 medium tomatoes, washed and sliced
1 cup reduced-fat shredded cheddar cheese
Taco Seasoning Mix:
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon cumin
1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
1⁄4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Heat oven to 400°F.
- Lightly oil or spray a pie pan.
- If using canned beans – add 1 Tbsp. oil in a pan or skillet and saute onion, then add drained and rinsed canned beans.
- If using ground beef or turkey – add 1 Tbsp. oil in pan or skillet, cook and stir ground meat and onion over medium heat until meat is brown. Drain excess fat.
- Stir in taco seasoning mix.
- Spread meat mixture into pie pan.
- In mixing bowl, beat milk, Convenience Mix, and eggs until smooth using wire whisk or fork.
- Pour into the pie plate. Bake for 25 minutes.
- Top pie with tomato slices and cheese.
- Bake until knife inserted between center and edge comes out clean, about 8-10 minutes longer.
- Cool 5 minutes before serving.
To decrease fat and cholesterol, use 1 (15.5 oz.) can of beans (kidney or pinto) instead of ground beef. Ground turkey can also be substituted for ground beef.
You can substitute the homemade taco seasoning for 1 prepackaged envelope of taco seasoning.
Recipe adapted from Michigan State University Extension.