Makes 6 servings | Serving size: 1 cup
6 medium frozen tomatoes, cored and skin removed
1 Tablespoon oil
½ cup diced onion, fresh or frozen
1 cup green bell pepper, fresh or frozen
1 cup corn, fresh or frozen
½ cup water
2 (15 ounce) cans kidney beans
2 servings convenience chili seasoning mix (PDF) (¼ cup plus 1 Tablespoon)
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 4 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 Tablespoon dried minced onion
- 1 Tablespoon dried minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- Remove skin and stem from frozen tomatoes.
- In a large saucepan over medium-high heat, heat oil, and combine the onion and bell pepper. Saute for about 3 minutes, or until onions are translucent.
- Add whole frozen tomatoes, water, and chili seasoning mix. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to low.
- Cover and simmer for 1 ½ hours, stirring occasionally.
- Drain and rinse kidney beans. Stir in the beans and heat through.
Top with shredded cheese, sour cream, avocado slices, cilantro, scallions, or tortilla chips.