Winter Black Bean Soup
Recipe Ingredients and Instructions to Download and Print: Winter Black Bean Soup (PDF)
Serves: 4 | Serving Size: 1 1/4 cups
2 teaspoons olive or canola oil
1⁄2 cup onion, chopped (about 1⁄2 medium onion)
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 teaspoon ground cumin (optional)
2 cups diced tomatoes canned or diced frozen tomatoes, not drained
2 cans low sodium black beans, drained and rinsed
1 cup water
1 tablespoon lime or lemon juice (optional)
Nonfat yogurt or low fat sour cream and cilantro for garnish (optional)
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and cook. Stir until the onion begins to soften (about 2 to 3 minutes). Add chili powder. Add cumin, if desired. Cook and stir for 1 minute.
- Add tomatoes, beans, and water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes covered).
- Remove from heat and stir in lime or lemon juice, if desired.
- Garnish with sour cream and cilantro before serving.
- Soup can be cooked in a slow cooker on low for 3-4 hours. Thin the soup by adding water. Thicken soup by cooking longer without the cover.