Winter Salad with Citrus Vinaigrette
Recipe Ingredients and Instructions to Download and Print: Winter Salad with Citrus Vinaigrette (PDF)
Makes 4 servings | Serving Size: 2 cups
½ cup orange juice
1 Tablespoon white vinegar
1 Tablespoon shallot, finely chopped
2 Tablespoons olive oil
5 cups mixed fresh greens
2 (15 oz.) cans cut beets, drained
1 cup (~3 whole) mandarin orange sections
1 ripe avocado, sliced into thin wedges
Salt and pepper to taste
To make the vinaigrette:
- Place a small saucepan over medium heat, and add orange juice and vinegar. Bring to a simmer, and cook 7-9 minutes, or until thickened and reduced down to about 3 Tablespoons.
- Pour orange juice mixture over chopped shallot in a small bowl.
- Mix in olive oil.
To make the salad:
- Place mixed greens in a large serving bowl.
- Add drained cut beets.
- Add orange sections and toss.
- Add citrus vinaigrette and toss until evenly distributed.
- Scatter avocado wedges on top of the salad.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve immediately.