To support the county Extension office and county Extension staff in implementing the University of Maine Cooperative Extension plan of work in a way that addresses the needs and interests of county residents and aligns with Extension’s mission to help Maine people improve their lives through an educational process that uses research-based knowledge focused on issues and needs.
- Approximately 8 Executive Committee meetings per year, typically held weekday evenings.
- New members are elected annually for a fixed year term unless specified otherwise.
- Standing and ad-hoc committees meet, as-needed, to review educational programs, the budget, nomination of new members, and volunteer recognition.
Promote the educational programs of UMaine Cooperative Extension by:
- Becoming familiar with the staff and programs of the County Extension office.
- Assisting in publicizing UMaine Cooperative Extension educational programs to reach diverse audiences.
- Bringing a grassroots perspective to support program staff in developing and assessing effective educational programs that address community needs to reach plan of work outcomes.
- Educating citizens, county commissioners, legislators and other community leaders regarding Extension’s educational program impacts.
- Attending scheduled Executive Committee meetings and participating on standing and ad-hoc committees.
- Signing and completing all mandatory agreements and training.
- Helping to prioritize staffing needs by making recommendations to Extension administration and serving on search committees as requested.
- Overseeing the preparation of the County Extension office budget.
- Commitment to helping people help themselves through an educational process.
- Ability to work as a team member.
- Interest in UMaine Cooperative Extension educational programs.
- General knowledge of educational needs and issues in your geographic area.
- Commitment to promoting programs that support diversity, inclusivity and equity for program participants.
Resources Available and Training Provided
- Orientation for new members.
- County Executive Committee manual.
- Networking with staff and committee members.
- Becoming aware of the broad range of educational programs, publications and courses available to meet the public’s need through University of Maine Cooperative Extension.
- Serving as a team member, building upon and learning new leadership skills.
- Networking with committee members and the community.
- Giving back to your community and making a difference.