How to Use Google Analytics
Why it’s useful:
Google Analytics collects data about our website visitors, which can be useful for reporting and program planning. We can learn how many times our pages were viewed, when they were viewed, what keywords visitors used to find our pages, where visitors came from, what devices they used to view our pages, if they were referred by social media, and more.
What you’ll need:
Internet connection, browser, and access to Extension’s Google Analytics account. Contact Michelle Snowden, firstname.lastname@example.org, to sign you up as a user.
Go to https://marketingplatform.google.com/about/analytics/. Click on the Sign In to Analytics link. If prompted to log in, use your gmail (maine.edu) address and password. If you are already logged in to your gmail, Google Analytics should open automatically for you.
Select www.umext.maine.edu from the list of websites, if more than one appears in the list. This will take you to your Dashboard.
Once you’re there (on the Audience Overview page):
- Set the date parameters in the upper right.
- Select Behavior/Site Content/All Pages from the left-hand menu.
- In the Filter box (middle of the screen, below the graph), type in the URL string you’re interested in, for example, use /highmoor/ or /livestock/poultry/. Click on the search magnifying lens icon to initiate the search.
- To filter out pages, click on the advanced link. Add a Dimension. Click on Page. Change Include to Exclude using the left-hand dropdown menu. To filter out “behind the scenes” pages (the pages you view in the editor while working in WordPress), type “wp” into the textbox. Repeat and type “preview” into the text box. Click Apply.
- You can print out reports by clicking on Export near the top of the screen (it’s small!). Select PDF, if that’s the type of report you’d like to generate. To automatically generate regular reports (weekly, monthly, etc.) click on the Email link to the left of the Export link. Fill in the options and click send.
Where to go for more info: email@example.com