Beef Taco Pie
Makes 12 servings
1 ½ pounds lean ground beef, 90% or more lean
¼ cup reduced sodium taco seasoning mix
½ cup water
2/3 cup salsa (choose hot if you dare!)
1 (6-ounce) can tomato paste
2/3 cup water
1 (more) Tablespoon reduced sodium taco seasoning mix*
6 8-inch flour tortillas
2 cups low-fat cheddar cheese, shredded
* Try the “Convenience Taco Seasoning Mix”
- In a large skillet, brown the ground beef until it is thoroughly cooked.
- Drain and discard fat from beef.
- Add ¼ cup taco seasoning mix and ½ cup water to beef. Stir to mix, and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Combine salsa, tomato paste, water, and 1 tablespoon taco mix in a bowl.
- Cut each tortilla in half. (12 half tortillas)
- Assemble the casserole as follows:
- In a 9″ x 13″ x 2″ baking dish prepared with cooking spray, place 4 half tortillas.
- Spread ½ cup salsa mixture on top of the tortillas. Add 1½ cups meat mixture over the salsa. Top with ¾ cup grated cheese.
- Repeat layering: 4 half tortillas, the rest of the meat mixture, and ¾ cup grated cheese.
- Place the last 4 tortilla halves on top, and spread the remaining salsa mixture and cheese.
- Cover with foil. Bake for 30 minutes at 350°F or until heated thoroughly.
- Allow pie to set for 5 minutes before cutting into 12 even portions.
- Serve with a light spring salad of fresh greens and a low-fat dressing.