Professional Employee Promotion Review Application
Section 1a: Application Form
This packet is designed to elicit information about you for the promotion review process. Please complete this application and submit it by the deadline to Angela Hart, 104 Libby Hall. Please put your name on each page of the application packet and organize materials in a single Word or PDF document with the following labeled sections:
- Application page (see items to include below) and Criteria;
- Job Description;
- Performance Evaluations; and
- Documentation of Performance and Activities.
Please note: You are responsible for gathering all necessary materials and submitting one (1) complete packet including the application forms in Word or PDF file format to Angela Hart. Supplemental materials, i.e., bulletins, fact sheets, etc. may be requested by the Extension Professional Promotion Review committee if deemed necessary.
If you have questions about what materials to submit in your packet or the process in general, please contact your supervisor or the Human Resources/Staff Development Coordinator. For helpful tips, visit the Creating a Successful Promotion Packet: Ideas and Suggestions page. Additional background is available at promotion review process.
Current Job Title:
Number of Years with Current Job Title:
Full- or part-time?
Date of Last Rank Increase:
Start Date with UMaine Extension:
Promotions will be recommended based on how well the overall application addresses criteria related to Leadership, Innovations, Educational Support and Development, and Professional Development. In addition, to be promoted from one rank to the next, the individual must consistently show an increase in work performance, competence and follow-through specific to his/her job responsibilities, and must, at a minimum, meet the following definitions:
Extension Professional I: No formal Extension experience is required, however formal education in the subject(s) related to the job description is expected. Individual demonstrates an understanding of Extension’s mission and successfully fulfills his/her job responsibilities.
Extension Professional II: Experience with Extension and a thorough understanding of Extension’s mission is necessary, along with satisfactory performance in all areas of assigned responsibility, and evidence of efforts to improve professional competence.
Extension Professional III: Experience with Extension and a thorough understanding of Extension’s mission is necessary, along with a sustained high level of competence in performing assigned responsibilities.
Extension Professional IV: Experience with Extension and a thorough understanding of Extension’s mission is necessary, along with sustained outstanding performance in assigned responsibilities. At this rank, evidence of innovative and creative performance in the conduct of work is required.
Criteria for Promotion Review
A. Leadership demonstrated by the Employee.
- Demonstrate how you have participated in committees, task forces and other interdisciplinary groups beyond normal job responsibilities that contribute to the furthering of Extension’s mission.
- Demonstrate how you have provided leadership for committees, task forces and other interdisciplinary groups beyond normal job responsibilities that contribute to the furthering of Extension’s mission.
B. Innovations developed by the Employee.
- What projects have you pursued or initiated to benefit UMaine Extension’s mission?
- What creative and logical solutions to problems and decision-making processes have you developed and employed?
C. Educational Support and Development provided by the Employee.
- Provide examples of how you have provided consistently high-quality educational support and development for UMaine Extension.
- Demonstrate how you have taken on added responsibilities within the scope of your position.
- Demonstrate how your position has undergone a shift in emphasis that has created added benefits for the organization.
- In what ways have you demonstrated greater autonomy within the scope of your position?
- In what ways have you demonstrated effective teamwork?
D. Professional Development initiatives are taken by the Employee and their impact on UMaine Extension.
- List any professional development activities (courses, committee work, networking opportunities, professional affiliations, etc. — both within and outside of UMaine Extension) and how you have benefited professionally as a result of these activities.
Attach or insert your current job description here. If your job description has evolved significantly during the last four (4) years, please note below how and why it was changed in terms of responsibilities or focus.
Please attach a copy of your four (4) most recently completed evaluations. (Copies of these can be obtained from your personnel file, which is filed in the administrative offices in Libby Hall.)
Please include no more than eight (8) typed pages to document how you have met the above criteria. Please try to be succinct yet thorough. Not all criteria need to be addressed to achieve a promotion, however, the chances of receiving a promotion are greater as more points are successfully addressed. Please concentrate on activities undertaken since your last rank increase. Whenever possible, indicate in each case how your actions have positively impacted UMaine Extension and/or the public when addressing the points below.
No supplemental materials are required. You may include hotlinks to relevant programs in your documentation. Further supplemental materials will be requested if necessary.