Explore 4-H Series (activities, workshops, programs)
Our Maine 4-H Program is excited to invite you to Explore 4-H by joining us in one of the following 4-H opportunities. In order for us to prepare for these opportunities, we need to know if you are interested in participating. Please pre-register (if required) by clicking on one of the following links.
Cost: With support from the Waldo County 4-H Leader’s Association, 4-H opportunities will be kept at a minimal cost or by donation. Some opportunities may require additional or gathering of materials. If a fee is required, please make checks or money orders payable to Waldo County 4-H Leader’s Association. Be sure to write in “Explore 4-H Series” on your check/money order memo line.
We hope you will come experience what 4-H is all about! Thank you for your consideration.
Have a safe and fun summer!
All the Best, Vina, Joyce and BillieJo, Your Waldo County 4-H Program Staff
To register for any of the following workshops, please fill out the Workshop Registration Form.
- Amateur (Ham) Radio
Interested in exploring a Ham Radio experience? We must have a minimum of 4 youth from 3 different families to make this happen. Please complete the form below or call the county office for more information 207.342.5971. Registration is open to all youth [9 and over] and will be on a first come, first served basis based on enrollment size of session. Registration is complete when your family receives an email confirmation notice. Confirmation notice will include flyer with event details. A waiting list will be honored.
- Be a Scientist, Materials in a Green, Clean World! Children [Ages 5 to 8] are introduced to the world of science. Using their senses, children get a feel what it is like being a scientist by making observations and asking questions about the world around them. In this program, kids will explore plastics, a material that is found more in our transfer stations, along with our highways, shorelines and oceans. Together, we will learn about strategies to lessen waste and pollution (reduce, reuse, recycle) and the difference between renewable and non-renewable resources; helping to protect our environment and all our resources. We must have a minimum of 4 youth from 3 different families to make this happen. This program is limited to 8 youth.
- Beef Farm Tour: More information coming soon
- Dairy Clinic: More information coming soon
- Family Game Day: More information coming soon
- National Youth Science Day (NYSD) Training for: Community Teams, Extension Staff, 4-H Volunteers, School and Afterschool Program Staff, Teen Leaders, Other Youth Development Organizations.
- Please save the date: September 20, 2018
- Host Site: RSU 20 Afterschool Program, time to be determined.
- Please register using the 4-H Event Registration form (Google Doc).
- Greg Kranich, Maine 4-H Science Facilitator; Owen Sterrs, Afterschool Program Director; and Joyce Weaver, Waldo County Extension 4-H Support Person
- National Youth Science Day Challenge:
(Visit the 4-H National Youth Science/ Code Your World page)
This October, 4‑H and Google will launch an exciting National Youth Science Day challenge, Code Your World, inviting kids to get involved in computer science (CS) through hands-on doing. The national NYSD celebration kicks off October 1, and coding events can take place all throughout October. Code Your World is a four-part challenge that teaches kids ages 8-14 to apply CS to the world around them through hands-on activities. Developed by Google and West Virginia University Extension Service, it includes a computer-based activity on Google’s CS First platform and three unplugged activities that bring coding to life through games and interaction.
- Poultry SPIN Club: Coming Soon
- 4-H Round-Up: More information coming soon
- Sewing Workshop: Coming Soon in August to a location in Waldo, Maine
- Date to be determined
- Come learn a few sewing stitches, how to sew on a button, mending a hole in your favorite clothing, or perhaps making a bear or an owl stuffed toy, sewing a BlueJeans apron, a whimsical garland, even a non-sewing Heart Favor party decoration. This workshop is for families (youth & adult). This workshop is free, although, there will be a few materials that will need to be gathered or purchased. Registration is open to enrolled 4-H youth and will be on a first come, first served basis. For more details or to register for the sewing workshop, please call the Waldo County Extension office at 207.342.5971.