Download the file: Mentor Expectations (Word)
Expectations for Internship Creation:
(For More Information see How to Create a UMaine Cooperative Extension Internship Experience)
- Mentors will create a checklist of any additional training(s) their Interns will need to know in order to do their internship. (See the Intern Orientation page for a list of required Student Worker Trainings.)
- Mentors will provide a learning contract if Interns are receiving academic credit. Refer to Mentor and Intern FAQs for more information.
- Mentors will provide Interns with on-site training and expectations.
- Mentors will create learning objectives for the internship. Refer to Mentor and Intern FAQs for more information.
Expectations for Management and Support:
- Mentors will create a check-in plan and protocol with Interns.
- Mentors will create a plan for regular communication.
- Mentors will create a work agreement plan with Interns.
- Mentors will provide project-specific training (if applicable).
- Mentors will perform a Formal Evaluation (if applicable), and an Exit Interview of their Intern. (Formal Evaluations will be done: If Intern is seeking academic credit or if Intern wishes to have a formal evaluation for a real-life experience). See Sample Questions for clarity on Exit Interviews and refer to How to Create a UMaine Cooperative Extension Internship Experience for help.
Expectations for Goal Setting:
- Mentors should provide opportunities that enhance learning objectives and build 21st Century skills, such as communication, problem solving, and critical thinking.
- Mentors will work with interns to set SMART (Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Relevant, and Time-bound) goals and check in on those goals during the internship.
Expectations for Skill Development:
- Mentors will help Interns identify skills gained or used during their Internship that can be applied to future academic or career aspirations.
- Mentors will clearly disclose to interns how the skills they will learn during the internship could benefit them in their future career.
- Mentors will help Interns in identifying their strengths and accomplishments during the internship.
Expectations for Feedback:
- Mentors will help to create an atmosphere that fosters Interns to express their thoughts and/or feelings as it relates to the work of the Internship.
- Mentors will provide Interns with a neutral person to check in with if they have concerns about their internship. (This can be the Internship Coordinators.)
- Mentors will provide Interns with timely, detailed, explicit, and non-personal feedback on the project the Intern is completing. Feedback should include things the Intern is doing well and things requiring improvement.
- Mentors will help Interns facilitate the Internship Project.
- Mentors will provide Interns with their contact information and contact information for important staff relating to internships. (Examples include but are not limited to: Internship Coordinators, Office Support Staff, Site Emergency Contacts…)
- Mentors will be required to report on the overall success and effectiveness of their internship program to the Internship Committee.
- Mentors will communicate effectively and efficiently with the Internship Committee and with the Intern.
- Mentors will ensure that Interns have an event calendar for their internship experience.