Assistance for Starting Home-Based Food Businesses

Extension food safety team visits the Black Bear Brewery in Orono, Maine; photo by Edwin Remsberg, USDAAre you interested in starting a food business in Maine? We can help!

Begin with Bulletin #3101, Recipe to Market — How to Start a Specialty Food Business in Maine.

Food Licenses and Maine Regulatory Information

If you are interested in obtaining your food processors license, there are three common food licenses offered by the Maine Department of Agriculture, Quality Assurance and Regulations:

  • Commercial (not shelf-stable foods)
  • Home-Food Processor (shelf-stable foods, baked goods, without dairy-based frostings and fillings)
  • Mobile Food Vendor (farmers markets)

Application for food licenses.

If you have regulatory food questions about these licenses or would like to talk to an inspector about a pre-inspection, please visit the Maine Department of Agriculture, Food, and Rural Resources for contact information.

Send your food product in for testing

For more information, visit Process and Product Review Testing.


Other Resources at UMaine

You may be interested in visiting the University of Maine School of Food and Agriculture for more information regarding their state-of-the-art food pilot plant or other food technology services.


Could funding help you towards commercializing your food product?

Please check out the Maine Technology Institute’s Grants, as they may provide the funding you need to move forward.


If you have any questions on how UMaine can assist you with your food business, please contact us.