Food Service Assistant
Food Services Assistant (prep-cook)/Dishwasher
The 4-H Camps at Tanglewood and Blueberry Cove provide environmentally focused summer camps for Maine youth in Lincolnville and Tenants Harbor. Programs emphasize community living, respect for others, fun, safety, responsibility, and the joy of being a part of the natural world. Our mission is to teach and inspire people from Maine and beyond to be effective and caring citizens of the earth through affordable environmental education and fun nature-based experiences. We strive to develop lifelong skills and a sense of community spirit.
Tanglewood and Blueberry Cove’s kitchen staff work closely with the Food Service Supervisor and the director to ensure the dietary needs of everyone at camp are met. Food Services Assistants help to prepare healthy meals and to make sure the kitchen is kept at Maine State health code standards.
- Assist cooks with kitchen duties every morning, afternoon, and/or evening depending on program season: food prep, baking, dishwashing, laundry, cleaning, etc.
- Wash and sanitize dishes according to established protocols. Monitor the dish machine to ensure proper operation.
- Regularly clean dish machine and auxiliary equipment.
- Ensure proper and timely trash removal; regularly clean trash containers.
- Follow established protocols for composting.
- Assist in cleaning the kitchen, including equipment, counters, and floors.
- Return all equipment and facilities in good condition upon completion of the program.
- Role model healthy living, positive energy, clear communication, and good stewardship for the environment.
- High safety and sanitation standards
- Attention to detail
- Flexible, team player
- Training and/or experience in sanitation, food preparation and protection, hygiene, and record keeping
Dates and Compensation:
- June 12, 2023-September 1, 2023
- $15.38/hour, flexible work hours
- Hiring for positions at Tanglewood in Lincolnville and Blueberry Cove in Tenants Harbor
- Shared, rustic housing is available
The University of Maine is an EEO/AA employer and does not discriminate on the grounds of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, transgender status, gender expression, national origin, citizenship status, age, disability, genetic information or veteran’s status in employment, education, and all other programs and activities. The following person has been designated to handle inquiries regarding non-discrimination policies: Sarah E. Harebo, Director of Equal Opportunity, 101 North Stevens Hall, University of Maine, Orono, ME 04469-5754, 207.581.1226, TTY 711 (Maine Relay System).