This position’s essential duties are to provide first aid and healthcare treatment for all campers and staff at the University of Maine 4-H Camps at Tanglewood and Blueberry Cove. These positions are seasonal (June-August) and located in Lincolnville and Tenants Harbor, Maine. We hire 1-2 Health Care Providers for each site.
- Provide first aid and healthcare treatment for all campers and staff. This includes assessment of illnesses, the first response to emergencies, and compassionate care for homesickness.
- Coordinate coverage of the health center during time away from camp; responsible for covering the health center during nights and some weekends.
- Be responsible for the administration of all medications and treatments.
- Post hours for daily medications and notify staff regarding camper health concerns.
- Evaluate and monitor all campers and staff’s health, including various complaints and concerns, and report major concerns to the Director.
- Establish and follow appropriate medical routines including record-keeping in the daily medical log, disposal of medical waste, managing and safeguarding medications, and utilizing approved standing orders.
- Create a system for the daily health inspections of the camp to ensure a healthy and safe environment for all.
- Maintain first aid kits, restocking with specific supplies, as necessary.
- Maintain a neat, sanitary, and welcoming health center.
- Report accidents/incidents to the Director for reporting within 24 hours.
- Participate in and lead specific areas of staff training pertaining to camp health and safety.
- Prepare a summary and evaluation of the entire camp season including inventories, staff evaluations, and camper reports on health problems, and make recommendations for the following season.
These are not the only duties to be performed. Some duties may be reassigned, and other duties may be assigned as required.
- Licensed Registered Nurse (current in the State of Maine) or other appropriate training as approved by the camp physician, e.g. EMT, WFR, CNA, LPN
- Experience in a summer camp setting is desirable
- Current CPR and basic First Aid certifications (if not a WFR)
- Ability to update and/or monitor health care, maintain records, and implement the health care plan
- Genuine compassion for and ability to get along well with children of all ages
- Ability to travel outdoors over various terrain, responding efficiently in the event of an emergency
- June 12-August 19, 2023, Full-time position
- $650/week (pre-tax) pay increases based on experience, background, and certifications
- Benefits include: rustic housing, meals during programming
Apply online at https://extension.umaine.edu/tanglewood/online-application-form/ For more information please contact email@example.com
- Employees in the University of Maine System are required to comply with UMS COVID protocols which currently include but are not limited to, being vaccinated, obtaining a qualified vaccination exemption, and/or participating in regular COVID testing. Further information can be found on our Together for Maine website.
The University of Maine is an EEO/AA employer and does not discriminate on the grounds of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, transgender status, gender expression, national origin, citizenship status, age, disability, genetic information, or veteran’s status in employment, education, and all other programs and activities. The following person has been designated to handle inquiries regarding non-discrimination policies: Director of Equal Opportunity, 101 Boudreau Hall, University of Maine, Orono, ME 04469-5754, 207.581.1226, TTY 711 (Maine Relay System).