5 Tips for Make-Ahead Breakfasts
We hear that breakfast is the most important meal of the day, but it is the meal that is so often overlooked. Why do so many people skip breakfast? Sometimes not having enough time in the morning, unsure of what to make for breakfast, or not being hungry are reasons why breakfast isn’t eaten. Help is here! Here are five tips to make sure eating breakfast in the morning is less of a hassle.
- Plan breakfast meals in advance. Before you go to the store, plan out what breakfast meals you will have each day of that week, whether it’s the same meal every day or a different meal each day. Write out a grocery list to reflect your plan.
- Use MyPlate as a guide to ensure you have included as many of the five food groups into the breakfast you plan.
- Make your meals simple. Often we think we need a large, labor-intensive breakfast, but sometimes the less complicated, the better. A simple breakfast can be healthy and cost effective. Visit our recipe page for quick and delicious breakfast recipes.
- Prepare your breakfast the night before. This will save you time in the morning. If you planned a hot breakfast, use a microwave or toaster to heat up your breakfast quickly. Try one of these make-ahead breakfast recipes from our Mainely Dish recipe series:
- Set an alarm and wake up 10 minutes earlier so you have time to eat your tasty and healthy make-ahead breakfast.
by Natalie VandenAkker, UMaine Dietetic Intern and Alex Bosse, Nutrition Education Professional