Youth - Animal Science
4-H youth can participate in many animal science projects. Youth can enroll in a club that focuses on only one animal species, or a child can enroll in a general club where many activities take place and still have an animal project.
Maine 4-H Animal Science focuses on seven commodities and promotes learning towards goals that can take youth to regional and national competitions. They are beef, dairy, dog, goat, horse, sheep, and working steer.
Volunteers play an integral part in coaching and mentoring youth in carrying out the educational plan for each commodity. Animal Science Committees are formed to help design these educational plans and work together to plan and implement them.
- Animal Science Project Resources
- Animal Science Committees
- Calendar of Events
- Rural Youth Loans from USDA Farm Service Agency: FSA makes loans to individual youths to establish and operate income-producing projects of modest size in connection with their participation in 4-H clubs, FFA, and similar organizations.
- Youth 4-H Events including Fairs
- UMaine Extension Livestock