Make Your Own: Soup
Onion + Vegetables + Protein + Grain + Broth + Seasoning
Make Your Own Soup Recipe!
Use our “Make My Recipe” form to customize and print or share your recipe (or receive a copy via email).
- 1 medium (chopped) onion
Vegetables (2–3 cups chopped)
- Green Beans
- Green Pepper
Protein – select ONE
- 1 (16 ounce) can of beans (pinto, kidney, black or white beans), drained and rinsed
- 1 pound COOKED lean ground beef, chicken, ham or sausage
- 1 (16 ounce) can beef, chicken or ham
Grain or Starchy Vegetable – select ONE
- 3–4 cups diced potatoes
- 2 (16 ounce) cans of beans (pinto, kidney, black or white beans), drained and rinsed
- 4 ounces uncooked whole grain egg noodles, macaroni or other pasta
- ½ cup uncooked brown rice
Broth or Base – will need 4 cups (1 quart); select ONE
- 2 (16 ounce) cans low sodium vegetable, chicken or beef broth
- 4 cups water and low sodium vegetable, chicken or beef bouillon
- 1 can crushed on diced tomatoes and 2–3 cups water
Seasonings – select one or more
- 2–3 teaspoons dried herbs (oregano, basil, cumin, thyme, rosemary or parsley)
- Bay leaf
- 2–4 tablespoons fresh herbs
- Minced garlic
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Select food(s) from each category above. Start with 1 medium (chopped) onion cooked in ¼ cup water or broth until slightly browned. Add vegetables and protein. Add remaining ingredients (except fresh herbs).
- Partially cover pot and simmer until grains and vegetables are tender (about 20–30 minutes). Add fresh herbs. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Simmer another 5 minutes.
Recipe from Utah State University Extension’s Food Sen$e Program